Banner Add

Content

1 October

Cycad cones at Monte Palace Garden
Whilst in Madeira last year one garden caught our attention so much we visited twice in the week. There is a large section dedicated to cycads and this particular coning specimen is magnificent

In the 18th century the English Consul Charles Murray, bought a property south of the church in "Monte" to the north of Funchal, then called "Quinta do Prazer" (The Pleasure Estate). At the turn of the century the property changed hands again when in 1897, Alfredo Guilherme Rodrigues purchased the estate and built a palatial property which was later converted into the "Monte Palace Hotel".

After Alfredo Guilherme Rodrigues died in 1947 and the hotel closed, forty years later the hotel and gardens was purchased by entrepreneur José Manuel Rodrigues Berardo, who donated it to a charitable Foundation he had founded to create what is now Monte Palace Tropical Garden.

For more photos from our visit see here.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments.